Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thoughts on Class Session May 18th

On Wednesday, after class started, we all sat in our seats and waited for the professor to start class. He was siting in the back and asked us what we wanted to do. Then he said that he heard about math on the radio in the morning and wrote down 1, 10, 11, 100 on the board and asked us what the next number was in the sequence. After examining it myself, I came to the conclusion that it was 110. Since all the ones that appear in the order are in front of the zero. Then the professor asked us if we wanted to do two or three groups and he decided we do two groups, one group consisting of males and one consisting of females. I wasn't happy about this, but once we got into groups, we started figuring out what the next number was. After about 10 minutes, the professor came back and asked if we were done. Then Astrid went up for the females and explained their thought process and reasonings for picking their number which I believe was 111. Then one of the guys went up to explain our answer and did a terrible job at it. Even I was lost. I thought it was so funny because he was one of the people in the group who was putting so much effort into finding and explaining his answer and yet couldn't explain it to the class. Like the professor said though, it was a language issue. Part of being a designer is knowing how to write and speak. Then the professor had him sit down and had another male student go up and explain our answer. He did a better job but the professor still wasn't convinced, and so Gilbert went up and explained it which I understood the best. Then the professor gave a lecture on how important communication is when it comes to working with clients.

After this, the professor had us sit in a large rectangle and he talked about the John Coy event and asked us our thoughts on it and had each of us share one thing that we took away from the experience. When it was my turn, I mentioned how John Coy said that there is no competition in the working world and that we all will find our own unique spot in the designer world. I thought this was interesting because I always thought that life in general is all about competition but since he is the professional designer with years of experience, I have to believe in what he said that night at the speaker event.

The last part of class, the professor asked us if we had any questions about our final project and told us to start on it, if we haven't already, since we are nearing the finals period of the quarter. I have some ideas for sure and thankfully I have some experience with After Effects so that will help me with my final project.

No comments:

Post a Comment