This entry is in response to my thoughts to the first 21 pages of The Design Process by Karl Aspelund. This is the book that the class will be reading for our Concept Development course. I was very fortunate to receive my copy in the mail this morning. I couldn’t jump right in of course as I had work till 5pm but was able to read it this evening and let’s just say this is one book that I will have no problem understanding.
The book itself is organized into 7 areas, which are Inspiration, Identification, Conceptualization, Exploration and Refinement, Definition and Modeling, Communication, and Production. The reading was interesting and I sure learned a lot about the author, who seems to be a genuinely nice person. For one, nothing bothers me more than a text book that, even with chapters, is so unorganized. As I was reading the pages, I could tell there was though and detail put into this book. And that’s a good thing. This book is truly written for the designers, as they are the ones who demand the best. I really am not one to praise a book, let alone on a blog but The Design Process has done a great job so far of keeping my interest. You know when you read up to the assigned page in past course assignments and you reach the last page and turn it to read on? That happened to me during the reading for the first assignment. So, this is a good sign that I will enjoy the rest of the book.
The author seems to want the reader to understand that the book itself and all the pages it contains it following a design process. This means that he wanted to make sure that as one is reading the book, that they are leaning and understanding things in steps that all have to do with design. For one, it’s organized, but the idea is there, the design process, the steps it takes to go from one point to another. The aspect of creative thinking and planning, that’s all relevant ideas that came to my mind when i was reading through the introduction of this book. Inspiration, that’s like the most important part of any idea, but it requires the most motivation and positive attitude if one is to go forth and venture out this idea into something much more. That’s what I got out of the reading anyway. Look forward to the next reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment