Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Introduction Reading

The reading for this week's homework was on pages 1 through 16 which is the introduction of the book. The Design Process by Karl Aspelund is an even more amazing book based on what I had to read. When one is going through the words on the pages, you really get a sense that he knows his stuff. The subject matter in the introduction of the book really was about what he calls the stages of design. There was more detail and explanations into how these stages are used and how they should work. I got the sense that its like a template that you can use to help you throughout the entire process of design. He give pointers on how to go about the stages and even discusses the whole debate over environmental resources and concerns to be pro environment as a designer. That was one of the more enjoyable parts of the reading that seemed to flow throughout the introduction. Being that we live in a world with diminishing resources, Karl Aspelund does a great job of bringing that subject into the book. He explained how as designers we should be aware of our community and the natural world we live in and that was to be pro active especially because we are in the field of design. Not just graphic design, but design in general. 

My favorite part of the reading was where he compared his design process to a relationship. I got amusement and more understanding in how to look at these stages of his. It seems to me that this book is definitely going to be "a how to guide" type of text book that will assist me in understanding terminology and aspects that make up design. 

There was a perspective section in the reading that focused on Karl and his love for design as well as where it all started after he graduated. Reading this part really made me understand just how passionate and devoted he has been to design throughout his life. Karl definitely has a long list of achievements and practices that cover all areas of design and I think the fact that he wanted to create this book for students like me is great because then that means that the reading will be enjoyable. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you were able to summarize it so well considering it was so much to take in. I see that we liked the same part too! I found it really funny that he used a relationship to explain it well. I think the information on the author was more interesting and easy to read for me though.
    * I had re-post it, Sorry!

    ReplyDelete