Very informative class meeting yesterday. We were all sitting in our seats and our professor starting discussing the elements of a story. He asked a female student to write the ideas we said on the board. The males in the class were answering with things like setting, theme, etc. And after the girls started giving out ideas, we had a total of about 25 ideas that we thought were part of a story. After that, the professor asked us to move the chairs to the front of the class so we could view some videos. This portion of the class time was my favorite, and not because we were watching videos, but because of the content of those videos. The first video was of Amy Tan who is a well known author. She was a speaker at a TED convention. Her speech was amazing and I enjoyed listening to every word that came out of her mouth. Normally, when I'm listening to someone speak in front of an audience, I either listen or totally black out. With Amy, it was the former. There was one thing in particular that she touched open that I absolutely connected with which was when she was talking about experiences and events that come up in our lives and after the 1st step which is to know an experience is happening, the next step is for you to have an intention. What are your intentions with this situation or event that has landed itself into your life? Its seems to have both good and bad qualities when this question is asked to people. I think everyone has both sides but act upon one depending on their own past experiences. I related to that topic in her speech very much.
The second video we watched was of a woman by the name of Elizabeth Gilbert who is the author of the very famous book Eat Pray Love. While i enjoyed Amy Tan's speech from an experience stand point, I enjoyed Elizabeth's speech for the constant humor and comparison ideas she had to the creative world. She was talking about how in history many years ago that people like the Romans used to think that creativity that certain individuals had was given to them by some great godly being. They saw it more as a gift on loan rather than a talent. I think its interesting to see it that way being that for the last several hundred years, people have turned that idea into an egotistical one. I think that is true. Then she related that into how much pressure there is for artists and those that are in the creative design world to always produce top notch things. It also works against the creator who does create the ultimate thing because only after are they held to that high standard of design. You create something so magnificent and then you are expected to follow that up with something even more amazing. Imagine all the amazing design products we could have in this world if those that create didn't fear the critics and just created? I think this world would be a whole lot more interesting and diverse. It makes me think what a shame that here we are as graphic design students and while we are all talented in our own ways, we have to create extraordinary work every single time.
While we didn't turn in our Mind Map homework, our next homework assignment is to print out an abstract image and list more than 10 words that describe different emotions when placing one of these words along with the image. Will be interesting to see what other people in my class come up with...
No comments:
Post a Comment