Well, the 2nd week is over for my Concept Development class. The class meeting was most likely my favorite one thus far. So, I got into the class about 7:40AM and took my seat. Two classmates sitting near me asked if they could see my homework. Then a little before 8, Jimmy came in and asked me if I could set up the computer cart so the class could view a video. After that he asked us to move the tables out of the way and moved the chairs closer to the front of the room so we could all see the video better. The film was on AIGA which is a professional association for designers. I had heard of it before in a previous class but it was really helpful to get a feel for the organization as well as listening to a representative of a local chapter on campus. After that, we moved our chairs and tables back. I loved how I almost got stuck with a stool since everyone else had quickly taken their seats. Now if we could only have done that for the alphabetized exercise... Haha.
There was a point in the class after that the professor was discussing mind maps and had us do an assignment where we had to write out our own mind map. The starting point could be a what if or how to scenario so I thought about some ideas and decided what if I didn’t have a car? So i branched off some things from there like travel and experiences and listed the good and bad things about each one. It was really fun and made me think about what I was writing out. Being that I live 40 minutes away from campus with traffic, my mind was thinking about all kinds of things if I was to not have my own form of transportation. Not only bad things came up but good things too, like not having a car payment, and having more financial freedom. As we were working on this assignment, the professor went around the room collecting our previous homework assignment which was to create a diagram of what being an fine arts student means to us and how we would explain it to a bunch of high school students. After he collected them, he placed nine of them on the board including mine. My original thought was that we were going to be presenting them so mine wasn’t as detailed as some of the others because it was merely going to be a visual aid while I explained each key point on my diagram. Either way, it was nice to see mine included on the wall since my comic drawing didn’t score as high according to the class. *13th place* cough cough. Haha.
After we finished our mind maps, the professor asked us to take a look at everyone else's and see what they came up with. I have to say, I am really glad to be a member of this class and seeing how creative my fellow classmates are. There was a few that I especially enjoyed looking at, including one where a student asked what if he saw an alien? And another student that asked what if they woke up dead? Reading the various ideas that branched off from questions like those were simply hysterical. After that, the professor put up a video that was a speech by Scott McCloud. It was interesting to watch but since there will be a separate blog entry on that video; I will save my thoughts for then.
Oh, one more thing I want to mention. I think it’s safe to say most of us in the class are starting to become comfortable with one another. When I was done with my mind map, a student (I’m sorry, but Im not good when it comes to remembering names!) asked to see mine, without me making any notion to share it and he let me see his and thought that was really neat. Being friendly or seeming like your friendly goes a long way especially when people don’t know you. We also exchanged words before turning in our diagram homework assignment and when walking around the room looking at everyone's mind maps. I think for myself, if I didn’t look friendly or had a certain serious demeanor, maybe this fellow classmate of mine wouldn’t have asked to see my mind map? I know this doesn’t quite relate to the class, but this same day after class, I was later approached by two students while walking amongst many others out near the book store who needed directions to the transportation office. After I told them the direction to walk toward, he placed his hand on the back of my shoulder and thanked me. And then in my other class, where everyone is extremely quiet, the girl next to me asked if she could see my book. So I think people have choices to approach anyone they like, and it’s nice to know people feel comfortable to approach me without knowing me. Anyway, just wanted to share that because that was something that stood out to me today. Have a great weekend everyone and see you Monday. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment