Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thoughts on Class Session April 20th

So, the class started slightly later than usual and we were asked to push the tables to the sides of the room and place our homework on them. Our homework was to find 3 images that told a story. Since there was no exact rules for the images, as I was looking at other people's stories, I could tell they went with all kinds of images. Then the professor went around and grabbed about four story images and placed them on the board. Then he asked the class to decide as a whole, which story was the best, or the most successful. I personally liked the Starbucks story because each image related to the other, and it flowed nicely. The rest of the class didn't though, which is ok, and we picked a story that was about plastic surgery. The images included one of a young girl at the toy store looking at a barbie doll, a woman with lines on her face, and another woman that clearly looked like she had a lot of work done. It makes sense as a story so I could see what it won. Then the professor came back into the room and he asked which one we picked then went through several other stories to see what we thought. As we were sharing our thoughts, it seemed what we thought was the story didn't make sense to what was actually going on in the images. So, for me, it was hard to separate my thoughts on what the story seemed to be and what the story actually was.

After we went through the stories, we were asked to mix and match the images to create our own stories. Its interesting how some in the class mixed the images together. There was a lot of laughter and we described what the stories could have meant if they were originally put together like that. It was really funny. After this, we gathered around the professor who shared books with us that related to telling stories through different means. Then we watched a TED film on John Maeda. He was talking about simplicity and how it is found in the world. I thought the video was very interesting. He made a lot of sense too. At the end, our professor assigned us another homework assignment which is to find 7 images that represent the 7 deadly sins. It will be interesting to see what my classmates come up with...

3 comments:

  1. I also had a problem with coming up with a story for the pictures, rather then seeing what was actually in them. I think a lot of people read too much into the images rather than looked at them for what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that both of you guys thought about it this way. I did the starbucks storyboard. I followed a basic story board template.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know how to reply to a comment. Haha. Like do you get a notification after I post this? Anyway, I know... Its kinda crazy and the whole pictures/images things isnt that easy but I think the idea is to get us thinking more than we usually do when it comes to these assignments.

    ReplyDelete