Scott McCloud is the author of Understanding Comics as well as many other comic books. The video was really neat and interesting. It definitely kept me on my toes especially because he talked so fast throughout the video. What helped the video come across as understandable was all the visual aids. It would make sense to use icons and images in the video other than just showing McCloud speaking because it relates to the idea behind comic books and such. I thought the video was informative, hilarious and interesting.
The professor asked the class to watch the video again and to take note of 3 things that were not clear or that we didn't know. For me, one thing that McCloud talked about in the video was a temporal map. I thought this term was interesting, and it turns out it has to do with the guidance within comics. It relates to how a comic is read and in what direction and how long it takes to read it. I figured it relates to the length of time it takes to read any given comic and that seems important to Scott McCloud.
Another thing that I didn't understand was durable mutation. After thinking about it and hearing what McCloud was saying in the video, I came to realize that it means when a new form of advancement in society particularly in media changes something for the better but has staying power. It means that a new technology or a mutation of a form of a certain technology can aid people if it has the means to change and improve things for the better. It sounds like a complicated idea but it makes sense.
A third thing that I didn't understand was blind faith. After thinking about it though, and researching the term, I have come to realize that it means those that believe in something but aren't quite sure what it is they believe in. And it could also mean a faith that cannot be seen necessarily. Which then confuses me even more. Does that mean only a few people "see" it more than others. What will happen if enough people believe in it? Well it become a new faith? Whatever the case, it seems that the whole idea of faith and beliefs is a sacred battleground for some so I will just say that blind faith is a faith that isn't something you can see.
There was one thing that I found interesting that was in the video and that was when McCloud was talking about the scorpion that stung the frog. The story goes that the scorpion asked the frog if he could cross and the frog told him only if he didn't sting him. The scorpion agreed but still stung him. The frog asked why he stung him after saying he wouldn't and he said "because its my nature". I thought that was not only funny but made me think about all kinds of things that could work with that phrase. Humans in particular could relate to it more than anything else. It was definitely something that stood out when I watched the video both times.
No comments:
Post a Comment