Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Thoughts on Class Session April 27th

Haha. What a day. So, when the class started our professor went around the room and asked what game my classmates and I brought for the activity today. I brought a card game by the name of Ratuki. So after everyone said what game they brought in, the professor asked us which games we wanted to play. I decided to play Uno Charlie Brown edition. Haha. The other players included Julie, Jacqueline, and Siouxsie. The professor stepped out of the room and everyone was playing and having a great time. I enjoyed playing Uno with my classmates. They were all funny, enjoyable and were really engaged with the game. As for the round itself, while I have played many games of Uno before, i have NEVER experienced playing a round like this one for so long. I think it was well over 40 minutes. The round we were playing kept going and going. I was close to winning once but then I got many Draw 4 cards that stopped that  opportunity from happening. Haha. Its ok, it was lots of fun.

Then the professor came in and said that we had to change up the game we were playing as well as the group we were playing with. The professor went through all the games we brought in and made a list on the board. He said we had to choose one of those games and so I chose Mad Gab. The classmates involved in this game were Gaudy, Candy, Astrid, Noah, Penn and myself. We originally were going to do 3 groups of 2 but Candy suggested we do 2 groups of 3 to make it easier to play. Playing this game was much more different than my experience with Uno. For one, I had never played Mad Gab before and as we were playing it, I could tell right away that the premise of the game was to make players look stupid. Overall, we all had fun, laughed and helped each other out in trying to solve the riddle of figuring out what the various phrases were. It was a great game to play, and I think the experience would have been different if all of us had played this, lets say like the 1st week of class versus playing it together on week 5. We were way more comfortable with each other playing this game that involves team work and communication and that was evident in the way we played it. We were all open to the experience which is a very positive thing rather than being reserved had we not known each other. It was a really engaging experience for me overall with both game sessions. I enjoyed playing the games especially with the group of classmates that were involved. It was a real nice way to get familiar with more of my classmates that I hadn't really spoke to before as well as develop better bonds with those that I already know. So, it was a neat experience for sure.

After the game, the professor explained our homework for the weekend which is to sketch out 9 different game design ideas. They all have to be unique from one another and we have to be able to explain each one in a few sentences. Very interesting assignment for sure as I have never been asked to create a game before but hopefully with the professors tips he gave us, I will be able to come up with 9 really cool game designs.

4 comments:

  1. It's good to read your description of today, as unfortunately I wasn't with you guys! :< I'm sorry I wasn't there to join you, but it sounds like it was a lot of fun. I imagined it would be a really good way to get everyone starting to feel even more comfortable with one another and get to know everyone better! I'm glad you had a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Im sorry you missed out. It was crazy fun though. Im sure you would have loved the game sessions. :) I had a blast thanks. Yes, it really did seem like everyone was getting more comfortable with one another which is good. See you on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uno is an incredibly competitive game. I love playing it at work with the kids.

    Coming up with an idea that will work for the game ideas is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Playing Uno was very fun. I think I may have the competitive one though. :) I was playing to win! But even though I didn't win, I still had a lot of fun. I don't think playing games is always about winning, it's about having fun with friends and family. I don't like playing with people who are very competitive to the point that they're a sore loser when they don't win. I'm glad that we all had fun while playing games. And I agree that coming up with an idea for a game is the hardest part. Our homework assignment has been very tough! Very challenging indeed! Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete